Our Application Security Assessments provide comprehensive analysis of both web and mobile applications to improve their overall security. Applications have many moving parts, making it necessary for experienced application security experts to identify potential security threats.
Our team of application security experts will perform a thorough review of your applications to identify areas of improvement and provide strategic guidance on implementing security best practices within your application. We assure you that your development and security teams will have the necessary assistance with improving your overall security posture.
APPLICATION SECURITY OVERVIEW
Our team of experts performs a thorough review of your applications to identify areas of improvement and provide strategic guidance on implementing security best practices. We ensure your development and security teams have the necessary assistance to improve your overall security posture. Our Application Security
Assessments encompass various activities, including:
- OWASP Top 10 Checklist
- Exploitation of security vulnerabilities
- Enumeration of sensitive information
Our team performs a variety of tasks, both automated and manual, to provide a comprehensive and quality assessment for your organization. If any security vulnerabilities are exploitable, we alert key personnel and cautiously execute safe exploits to gain access to data that may be valuable to attackers.
Our Application Security Assessments focus on improving web and mobile application security, incorporating practices such as threat modeling, secure coding, code review, and security testing. We also conduct vulnerability scanning and risk assessment to identify potential security gaps.
An Application Security Assessment can help your organization identify and remediate security flaws within your web and mobile applications. Contact us today to learn more about how this assessment can add value to your organization's information security and web application security posture.
Application Security FAQs
What is an Application Security Assessment?
Why is an Application Security Assessment Important?
With more and more tech in our lives, cyber threats are on the rise. And since apps are often the gatekeepers to sensitive data and systems, it's crucial to make sure they're secure. Doing regular security assessments can help you catch any problems before they're exploited by bad actors, give you peace of mind, and show your customers that you take security seriously. Plus, it can help you comply with industry standards and regulations. So don't wait, get your app checked out!
vPenTest combines the knowledge of multiple highly skilled penetration testers along with numerous tools and techniques used in the industry by penetration testers with over a decade of experience and certifications.
What are the methodologies used for application security assessments?
- Threat modeling - identifying potential threats to an application and determining the best way to mitigate them.
- Vulnerability scanning - automated testing of an application to identify known vulnerabilities.
- Penetration testing -Activities include identifying critical issues defined by OWASP Top10.
- Code review - manual examination of the source code of an application to identify potential security risks.
- Fuzz testing - feeding large amounts of random data to an application to identify potential vulnerabilities.
- Configuration review - reviewing the configuration of an application's infrastructure and identifying potential risks.
How can organizations prepare for a security assessment?
Below is an overview of how to best prepare for an impactful assessment:
- Defining the scope and objectives of the assessment.
- Gathering relevant information, such as source code, system configurations, and architecture diagrams.
- Ensuring that personnel and systems are available during the assessment.
- Establishing a clear process for documenting and addressing findings and recommendations.
- Allocating necessary resources, including budget, personnel, and technology. Encouraging collaboration and open communication between the assessment team and stakeholders.
- Determining a plan for incorporating assessment findings into ongoing development and operations.
- Ensuring that all necessary approvals and permissions are obtained.
Preparing for an application security assessment in advance can help ensure that the assessment is conducted smoothly and effectively, and that findings are acted upon in a timely manner.
How extensive is your application pen testing?
How often should an application security assessment be performed?
- For highly critical applications, assessments should be performed regularly, e.g. quarterly or bi-annually.
- For less critical applications, assessments can be performed annually or bi-annually.
- After significant changes or updates to the application, an assessment should be performed.
- When new threats or vulnerabilities are identified in the industry, an assessment should be performed to determine if the application is affected.
It's important to regularly review and update the security assessment plan to reflect changes in the organization and its applications.
What are the potential risks with not performing regular application security assessments?
- Unidentified vulnerabilities - which can be exploited by attackers leading to data breaches, theft of sensitive information, or disruption of operations.
- Compliance violations - failure to perform regular security assessments can result in non-compliance with industry regulations and standards.
- Reputational damage - a security breach can result in loss of trust and reputation for the organization.
- Financial losses - data breaches can result in direct financial losses through remediation costs, legal fees, and compensation for affected individuals.
- Competitive disadvantage - organizations that prioritize security are more likely to attract customers and partners, and are better positioned to withstand attacks.
- Decreased efficiency - fixing security issues after a breach can be time-consuming and resource-intensive, leading to decreased efficiency.
Overall, regularly performing application security assessments is essential to minimize risks, maintain compliance, and protect the organization and its customers.
How is the data collected during an assessment analyzed and used?
- Data triage - categorizing and prioritizing findings based on the severity of the issue and potential impact.
- Root cause analysis - identifying the underlying cause of each issue and determining the best way to address it.
- Recommendation development - providing specific recommendations for remediation, including technical solutions, process changes, and additional controls.
- Implementation planning - determining a plan for incorporating recommendations into ongoing development and operations, including timelines and resource requirements.
- Monitoring and reporting - tracking the implementation of recommendations, monitoring the effectiveness of the remediation, and reporting on progress.
- Continuous improvement - incorporating lessons learned from the assessment into ongoing development and operations, and updating policies and procedures as necessary.
The results of an application security assessment should be used to continuously improve the organization's security posture and to identify and mitigate potential risks and threats.